As a continuation from last week’s blog, this article outlines further protocols for activities at ECIs based on the Reopening Early Childhood Institutions For Children Ages 0-5 Specific Protocols document which can be found on the ECC’s website.
Protocols for Keeping Children Safe
- ECIs should thoroughly clean and sanitize shelves, storage boxes, chairs, desks, toys, door knobs, stationery, potty, and any high-touch/easily accessible items/areas etc. at least twice a day.
- All bathrooms should be cleaned and disinfected regularly throughout the day, multiple times throughout the day
- Mats should be cleaned and sanitised after each use
- High-touch areas on swing sets, monkey bars, see-saws, play houses, etc. should be cleaned daily
- Cleaning products should not be used near children, and staff should ensure that there is adequate ventilation when using these products to prevent children from inhaling toxic fumes
- Cleaning products should be safely stored away from children’s access, as required by ECC Standards
- Children’s clothes should be changed if they become soiled and hands should be washed immediately after. Soiled clothes should be placed in a plastic bag and washed as soon as possible
- Workers to supervise and hold bottles for infants who are not yet able to hold their own bottle to reduce the risk of choking.
- ECI workers should use blankets or cloths over clothing when holding infants and toddlers and they should change the blankets or cloths used between children.
- Children must not share food, feeding utensils, soothers, bottles, sippy cups, etc. These items should be labeled with the child’s name to discourage accidental sharing.