This blog follows in the series of Protocols for Reopening ECIs for Children 0 to 5 Yeas Old. The information presented in this blog can be found on the ECC’s website.
Here are some recommended guidelines for the physical layout of ECIs:
- ECIs should use temporary walls/dividers to divide a room into smaller spaces to serve multiple groups, under limited circumstances and should be approximately 3 4ft high
- Clearly mark the 6ft spacing between desks, mats, cribs, etc. or as much spacing as is possible
- When using mats, consider placing children head to toe in order to further reduce the potential for viral spread
- ECIs should stagger arrival and drop off times and/or plan to limit direct contact with parents as much as possible
- ECIs should stagger playground and lunch times
- Parents should be encouraged to provide reusable eating utensils for their children
- ECIs should have the same types of toys in different colours and allocate a specific colour to a specific group
- In recognizing that physical distancing is difficult with small children and infants, some suggestions to support physical distancing include, planning activities that do not involve shared objects or toys; and, when possible, moving activities outside to allow for more space.
For updated information on COVID-19, we continue to encourage the public to visit the MoHW website at https://www.moh.gov.jm/. For updates and information on ECD, please visit the ECC website at https://ecc.gov.jm/.